MarineParents.com Hosts Super Bowl Party in Bethesda
On Sunday, February 4, 2018, Marine Parents co-hosted a Super Bowl party, along with the USO and MWR in Bethesda, Maryland, for wounded and recovering service members, active duty, and their family members. These men and women have sacrificed so much for us, we wanted to give them something fun to do, a sense of normalcy, and a break from their current struggles. We mapped out a plan for food and activities to go on during the game, as well as how much money we would need to raise in order to make it happen. We called on you, the MarineParents family, to help us raise $8,000 to hold this event and with your support, we exceed our goal, by raising just over $9,200.
The night consisted of:
- Madden video game tournament before the football game for all service members
- Board games to entertain kids and teens during the game, that were later donated to the facility for future use
- Pizza, wings, burritos, sandwiches, nachos, and other football-themed foods
- Eagles and Patriots team decor, napkins, and centerpieces
- Gift bags for the kids and teens, including puzzles, coloring books, and trinkets to entertain these kids who are often cooped-up while their parent is recovering
- Eagles and Patriots team memorabilia giveaways
- A Super Bowl themed dessert
- Raffles and prizes
- Lots of football!
Our volunteers on site also served food to patients in the behavioral health and post-surgical units of the hospital. A nurse that assisted our volunteers with serving the food to her patients said she was very grateful for us being there because her patients are often forgotten due to that floor being difficult to access. We are honored we could be there and give these men and women an opportunity to feel included.
Contacts at the USO informed our volunteers that the party went on until about 11:00 pm that night. It was deemed a success despite having inclement weather: rain and snow showers. The final head count for the evening was 160.
We would like to thank everyone who was involved in making this party a success. Thank you to the Warrior Support Team East volunteers to delivering food to the hospital, and thank you to the USO volunteers for setting up all the food and giveaways. This event couldn't have happened without the generosity and kindness of so many who donated their money, time, and effort to this evening. It was an honor to be a part of a fantastic event for such deserving service members, veterans, and family members. God Bless and Semper Family!